Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year 2009


We took down the Christmas fluffery today. We were both a little quivery about the whole thing, so we left the candlelabra in the windows, to shed a soft light onto the harsh leafless January landscape. But the deer and wreaths and red bows are gone from the front lawn and the little Charlie Brown tree is at the curb. Another Christmas gone.

New Year's Day has come and gone, too. We went out New Year's Eve, just to get a filet at Liberty steakhouse and drink a glass of blackberry wheat microbrew. Our first dinner of 2009 was blackeyed peas, rice, cornbread, and collards, so my cullinary arts continue to be schizoid in origin. The peas were the best I have done in years, mainly because I couldn't find any of the deep south flavoring meats at Harris Teeter, so I threw a couple of country style pork ribs in, along with blackening spice, chili powder, red pepper flakes, an onion, salt and pepper. I had thrown a small bunch of fresh collards in the grocery buggy, but decided to go with a can of Glory brand greens which are seasoned perfectly. With Frank's hot sauce and Texas Pete pepper sauce(vinegar), and the Jiffy cornbread, we ate our good luck food for the year.

So we have settled in for the final overdose of football, the bowl games, the NFL playoffs, college championship, the Superbowl. We will be flying our Gator flag again and screaming for Jake Delhomme and the Panthers. Then my husband will go in to mourning, and I will find something more productive to do with my time. I am planning on getting a new, simple sewing machine and taking up again the only craft- type hobby I enjoy. Maybe I will start making reindeers similar to the ones my mother made, only perhaps a little fancier. Maybe I will make fairies like Mark Roberts. Or maybe I will just make clothes.


Devon and Ray are busy renovating their new townhouse, and we are planning to go up and help the next weekend. They have designed a really cool kitchen, with Ikea cabinets and a diner theme. Ray will be putting down hardwood floors throughout. I am so happy that they have a place of their own at last. And a fireplace, so they won't have to hang their stockings by the wormfarm. Of course, they will have to put up a mantle or a mantle shelf.


Kris and Brett are proud new parents of a flat screen TV. And perhaps a computer, haven't heard. heh. Brett dressed up as James Bond on New Year's Eve but I haven't seen them replace the Honda with an Aston Martin.


Hope 2009 brings everyone health, happiness, peace and a few wishes-come-true.


1 comment:

Devon said...

We ordered the kitchen yesterday and it is due to be delivered next Saturday... the earliest they could. And we will be getting a mantel for the fireplace, I hope! Maybe it'll be a spot for the worm farm.. ;)

I think you should make clothes. Kid's clothes. I just bought Rachael jeans and she already grew out of them. Sheesh. I want a pair of jammies like her fleece ones you gave her. She looks so warm and cozy in them!!! heehee